Re: Alternative Concept

David Brownell wrote:

>> | I couldn't know.  This "alternative concept" hasn't gotten very far
>> | into the hand-waving stage, much less beyond it into proposed interface
>> | or (gasp!) implementations.  Platforms that don't *have* those particular
>> | interdependencies should not of course incur costs to implement them...
>> ---
>>
>> Well, that's fine if the platform you use is the current design
>> center.
>
> So you think that platforms which don't have such interdependencies
> should incur costs and complexity to address problems they don't have.
> Why?

they don't. and what is more important they wouldn't.

Our idea is to provide building bricks: a clock provider node, a voltage
provider node, a domain node, an arc of parent-child type, an arc of domain
type, etc as well as tools/means (API) to construct an arbitrary graph from
these nodes and arcs. These are pieces which parameter framework would bring to
the plate.

Further, an arch/platform system designer reading hw manual defines which nodes
are required for a particular arch/platform and how a graph of nodes and arcs
should look like for the arch/platform. Parameter framework API allows to build
an arbitrary graph of nodes and arcs either statically or at runtime.

This way a particular arch/platform graph configuration is the only arch
dependent thing while the rest is handled in arch independent way.

Am arch/platform designer uses only set of nodes and set of arcs required for
his particular platform eliminating costs and complexity non-related to the
specific platform.

Of course, any generalization has size and performance penalties but with the
proposed approach it's basically narrowed down to size of the structure
representing a node in the tree and performance of tree traversing. Both leave
opportunity for optimization without impact on generic ideas, structures and API
though.

Eugeny