[linux-pm] cpufreq terminally broken [was Re: community PM requirements/issues and PowerOP]

On Feb 27, 2007, at 12:55 PM, David Brownell wrote:

> Catching up on some ancient mail from one mbox ..
>

> On Wednesday 13 September 2006 4:50 pm, David Singleton wrote:
>> OpPoint constructs operating points for all supported frequency,
>> voltage
>> and suspend states for PC and SoC solutions running Linux.
>
> That's one basic issue I have with such approaches to desribing
> operating
> points:  "all" such states gets to be an enormous set.  What I've
> seen of
> both PowerOP and OpPoint says that they both try to limit that set
> by just
> enumerating a handful of specific operating points ... but the more
> generic
> solution (generally matching chip specs) would be having a way to
> constrain
> the parameters within their natural limits.  (Rather than picking
> out a set
> of half a dozen system modes in advance, by hand.)

Agreed, well mostly anyway:)   Eugeny and I went back to the drawing
board to see what we could do based on the comments last year and
specifically Dominiks "Alternative concept" email.   Basically, we
agree that the operating point notion is too limiting and artificial
to be the basis for a power management stack.  Something like the
knob layer described in Dominik's email is needed.   We have done a
bit of thinking on the necessary behavior and features of such a layer.

  It's funny I was in the middle of writing up our thoughts in an
email to the pm list when your email came in.  I will finish up that
email and then come back to your specific examples below.