[linux-pm] Alternative Concept [Was: Re: [RFC] CPUFreq PowerOP integration, Intro 0/3]

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 10:36:20PM -0400, Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As you know, I never looked too friendly upon PowerOP and the "operating
> points" concept. My latest messages may have illustrated this point even
> further -- but the reason for that is that I more and more get the feeling
> that PowerOP and "operating points" and the so-called new "PM core" is
> trying to do too many things at once, and therefore mixes up differnt
> levels. Here is a rough sketch of what I'd like to discuss[1] as an
> alternative:
>

> A) The lowest level: lots of knobs.
>
> Somewhere in a "computer system"[2] there are very many "knobs" which may
> be turned to influence various voltages, clock levels, or operating modes
> ("turbo", "performance" or "powersave", for example).
>
> Also, there might be many dependencies on how these "knobs" may be
> changed.
>
> Let's assume the system is in a well-defined, working state right now.

Smells like PowerOP to me.

> B) I want to change one such knob!!!
>
> Now, let's say that we want to change one value controlled by such a knob.
> What must we do? We need to check that changing it
> 	a) does not violate any dependency ["verification"]
> 	b) all dependencies are handled in correct order ["notification"]

Constraints and notifications are the next big problems to address after
we get the interface for the knobs working.

> C) Notification
>
> Let's look at the "notification" stage first -- that's what current cpufreq
> notifiers do in a very basic way. However, this is also what the new clock
> and voltage frameworks are trying to do, right? So that's the lesser problem
> now.
>

> D) Verification
i.e. constraint checking and enforcement

> So, how to do this verification? Basically, there are two approaches:
>
> 1) ask every other subsystem whether the new value is OK with it.
> 	This is what cpufreq currently suggests to do. It is evident
> 	that this gets overly complicated with lots of dependencies
> 	and dependencies within the dependencies -- both in terms
> 	of concept and in terms of time the verification code takes
> 	to execute.
> 	Advantages:
> 	- easy to expand, also in runtime (e.g. USB system is
> 		modprobed and telling you of a new minimum voltage
> 		requirement on certain circumstances)
> 	- does not limit choices for each knob
> 	Disadvantages:
> 	- might get very complex
>
> 2) look up all valid states in a table
> 	This is basically what PowerOP and the "operating points"
> 	concept suggests: if you want to change one value, you check
> 	what operating points a) contain the new value and b) is
> 	most suitable to you.
> 	Advantages:
> 	- fast
> 	- pre-defined set of operating points which the system
> 	  designer is comfortable with
> 	Disadvantages:
> 	- needs to be limited to "core" of the system as else
> 	  the tables may get overly large
> 	- limits the choices
>

> E) So, why not combine the best of both worlds?
>

> If you want to change a knob, the "PM core" looks both at every other
> subsystem adding dependencies, and at a "operating points" table _ifff_ it
> exists.
>

> F) So, how would this work for OMAP1?
>
> Let's limit it, to keep it somewhat simple, to the values contained in your
> "struct pm_core_point" for OMAP:
>
> 	int cpu_vltg; /* voltage in mV */
> 	int dpll;     /* in KHz */
> 	int cpu;      /* CPU frequency in KHz */
> 	int tc;       /* in KHz */
> 	int per;      /* in KHz */
> 	int dsp;      /* in KHz */
> 	int dspmmu;   /* in KHz */
> 	int lcd;      /* in KHz */
>
> and let's also add a
>
> 	int i_am_special;
>
> Let's assume that there is an OMAP1 PM module which implements a ->set and
> ->get function for all of them. A yet-to-be-defined interface then tells
> this PM module
>
> "I want to increase the CPU frequency from C1 MHz to C2 MHz!"
>
> ->set(CPU_VLTG, C2);
did you mean ->set(CPU, C2) ?

> The ->set function would then ask whether it is allowed to switch to
> frequency B. How would it ask for that? It would both call the "operating
> points" layer to check whether such a table is registered. Now, let's assume
> there are no external subsystems affected by this change, and the system
> engineer has defined such a table:
>
> Nr.	CPU_VLTG	CPU	TC	... 	i_am_special
> 1	A1		C1	D1		1
> 2	A2		C1	D1		2
> 3	A1		C2	D2		3
> 4	A2		C2	D3		4
>
> The core would determine that the latter two states are now allwed, and
> using some sensible algorithm (e.g. "where do I not have to switch too many
> knobs", or minimize the costs of switching) decide between those two.
> Basically, it would recignize now that it is OK to proceed from state Nr. 1
> to Nr. 3, but that this means that "tc" also needs to be changed. After
> notifing relevant subsystems using the clock and voltage frameworks, it
> would then proceed to set the hardware accordingly.

This adds a sort of tree search defining a power state path from a
current state to one of the possible target stats with C2.  In this case
the only way to get to CPU==C2 is to change TC to D2 and deal with all
the ripples that will cause.

One question is how do we know that changing TC is a better way to go
than changing CPU_VLTG?  We'll need to figure out an ordering in the
phase space of power states.  Thinking out loud, I would try to pick the
target state based on latency if there are more than one targets to
satisfy the ->set() request.

> Now, some might argue "I want to tell the interface to enter mp3-mode, and
> not enter some CPU_VLTG and hope that it selects the right table entry then
> in the verifcation stage!" Well, you can do that. Using the i_am_special
> pseudo-knob. You just tell the yet-to-be-defined interface "I want to switch
> knob I_AM_SPECIAL to 4". The process is the same.

MP3 mode effectively becomes a constraint in the system.  yes, I have
looked at cpufreq governors from this perspective and I think it could
work.

The trick is to make it easy to define register, activate / deactivate
constraints.  I try to make them modules that register with a global
constraint / notification thing.

> G) So, what does this get us?
>
> It may look as "Operating Points" turned on its head now. And yes, it is.
> But you can do the following now:
> - let cpufreq call ->set(CPU_FREQ, <value>), if you want dynamic frequency
>   scaling,
> - use pre-defined operating points if it's suitable to do so,
> - handles all dependencies either way.

I like the concept.

> Oh, and as the operating point concept is only introduced as an element
> between the low-level setting and the "high-level policy decision", it does
> not need to be squeezed into current cpufreq drivers or even the current
> cpufreq core in any way. cpufreq may call it, but that should be relatively
> easy to implement.
>

> I think that this might be much easier to implement than your PowerOP /
> operating points / PM core / PowerOP - cpufreq interaction patches. As a
> matter of fact, some parts of your operating points table infrastructure
> may be usable for the concept outlined above. So, what do you think? What
> does everyone else involved think about this alternative approach?

I still see a need to take the first step of enabling "lots of knobs".
This is the primary goal of the PowerOp patch set.  The stuff with the
sysfs is just an interface to set/get the operating points while a
more complete solution like what you are talking about evolves.