[linux-pm] community PM requirements/issues and PowerOP [Was: Re: So, what's the status on the recent patches here?]

| From pavel at ucw.cz Sat Sep 23 18:42:14 2006
|
| Hi!
|
| > There are also, of course, contractual issues with carriers and
| > content owners, who could also sue if a manufacturer didn't make a
| > sufficient effort to protect the terms of the contract. The
| > carriers and content owners are continually raising the bar on the
| > level of protection they require.
|
| Yep, I see it sucks being phone manufacturer. But you have separate
| CPU doing GSM stack in current cellphones, right? I believe you even
| use AT commands for communication... That should be about as hard as
| pcmcia card to "harden", and yes, people are routinelly selling pcmcia
| GSM cards.
---

Yes, as I've said elsewhere, I believe the modem software and
communication between the applications and modem processors could be
hardened to a point where it would be safe to make the kernel
replaceable. However, the folks who designed the current product didn't
have that as a requirement, so it wasn't designed that way...

scott
--
scott preece
motorola mobile devices, il67, 1800 s. oak st., champaign, il  61820