[linux-pm] community PM requirements/issues and PowerOP [Was: Re: So, what's the status on the recent patches here?]

> From: Pavel Machek [mailto:pavel at ucw.cz]
>
> On Thu 2006-09-14 14:25:32, Jon Loeliger wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 08:03, Pavel Machek wrote:
> >
> > > Actually, laptops and zauruses seem to be the only "interesting"
> > > machines from pm perspective.
> >
> > Well, and future parts and machines that are in the works.
> >
> > >  Then there are Motorola cellphones, but Motorola tried
> hard not to
> > > enable users changing kernel... so they are irrelevant.
> >
> > That might be a bit unfair.  Those engineers at Motorola
> who put linux
> > on the cellphones and mobile devices do need to have the PM
> support.
> > They are NOT irrelevant.
>
> Of course I am unfair. It is nice that motorola ships
> linux-based cellphones, but they made really sure that users
> can't hack them... which is considered anti-social by the community.
>
> So it would be nice if kernel matched requirements by
> Motorola, but it is *way* more important that it matches
> requirements by Sharp and notebook requirements... because
> Sharp & notebook manufacturers actually play fair.
---

Depends, of course, on your definition of "fair". The CE
manufacturers are investing a lot of work in Linux, either
directly or through hiring developers and working through
distributors. And they're giving their enhancements back
to the community, which is what was generally considered
"fair" for open-source development. The power management
stuff may be too narrow to be interesting to laptop-based
developers,but things like reduced boot time ought to be
Of more general interest.

I expect modifiable kernels in the future, but that requires
a lot of extra engineering (beyond just making the device
work) to harden the non-open elements so that malicious
kernel changes couldn't compromise them. None of the
manufacturers is going to build a cellphone or DVR that
service providers won't allow on their networks...

scott