[linux-pm] So, what's the status on the recent patches here?

On Sunday, 3 September 2006 23:34, Scott E. Preece wrote:

> | From: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw at sisk.pl>

> | > You are correct, processes do need to be frozen before a suspend.
> | > That's the prepare to suspend part of the suspend process, and
> | > the transtition is the suspending and finish is the un-freezing
> | > of the processes to resume execution.
> | >
> | > And those same steps are the same steps required to transition the
> | > system to a new operating point, whether it's suspend or change
> | > from 1.4GHz to 600MHz.
> |
> | There are only a few states that require the processes to be frozen and I
> | think that's a good enough reason to handle them separately.
>
> ---
>
> But, surely that distinction can be handled in the implementation behind
> the interface, rather than exsposed in the interface.

I don't think you can handle that behind the interface in a satisfactory way.
For example during a suspend to disk we carry out several transitions of
devices within the suspend-resume cycle.

> Does that distinction matter to the policy manager?

I think so.

> I would argue that it
> increases the latency, which would be important to the policy manager,
> but that the nature of the latency isn't important to making a policy
> decision,  and the proposed interface already exposes the latency as
> something that can be used in making transition decisions.

>From the policy manager perspective it may be just a latency fator,
but for all of the things _outside_ of the policy manager it's much more
than that.

For example transitions like a CPU frequency change are transparent for kernel
threads, but the suspend "transitions" are not, because the kernel threads need
to be informed that the system is suspending and they are expected to freeze
themselves voluntarily.

Really, I think that the "states" which are entered only after tasks are
frozen should be considered as special and handled separately.

Greetings,
Rafael

--
You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
		R. Buckminster Fuller