[linux-pm] So, what's the status on the recent patches here?

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 09:59 +0200, ext Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > This seems to be too specific to embedded machine.
> > >
> > > If userspace wants to work with usb and play mp3s at the same time,
> > > what does it do?
> >
> > Switch to 'fast'?
> >
> > The operating point for a use-case specifies the _minimum_ required for
> > the use-case. You can always go up.
>
> > The system designer is responsible for 'designing' operating points that
> > take into account multiple use-cases. Designing here refers to mapping
> > use-cases to HW operating points.
>
> Yes, and that's why I argue this is unsuitable for notebook: there are
> just too many usecases for a notebook.

You are trying to make it sound more complex than it really is. For a
notebook, as you yourself pointed out, things could be handled with the
present adaptive, load-based system. So you don't need to map _every_
use-case to an operating point. So you don't need to move to use PowerOP
today.

But if someone (distro vendors?) takes the time and effort to map
possible use-cases, then the power manager could do better prediction of
performance requirements.

Optionally, _if_ applications were power aware, they would send
information about their activity to power manager or modify their own
class-of-service requirements. e.g. Rendering webpage has different
requirements than simply showing the page. This is NOT being discussed
at the moment.

But PowerOP would allow SoC-based systems to tune the operating points
to get the most out of their top-10 use-cases and sleep modes.

> > Consider an example system with a main CPU and a DSP. To simplify
> > discussion, lets assume 3 levels for CPU and DSP speeds and system
> > voltage. Then, here is what an example operating-point to use-case
> > mapping table could look like:
> >
> > #     CPU speed      DSP speed      Voltage       use-case
> > 1.    high           high           high          fast, video
> > 2.    med            high           high
> > 3.    med            med            med           usb[1]
> > 4.    low            med            med           mp3
> > 5.    low            low            low           powersave
> >
> > [1] USB has voltage constraint (voltage >= med)
>
> So... you take three independend parametrs and merge them into one,
> named parameter. Bad idea.

But they are NOT independent parameters! Which is why we want to
encapsulate them into an 'Operating Point'. We have completely failed in
our effort to explain the concept of an operating point if that has been
your assumption all along.

> What about simply having these parameters:
>
> usb on or off
>
> cpu speed (controlled by cpufreq)
>
> dsp speed (controlled by userspace)
>
> Then you can have infrastructure that is able to compute system
> voltage from usb/cpu/dsp speed, and users stll have interface they can
> understand.

This is moot for the reason above - cpu/dsp/volt are NOT independent.

And USB (or any device information) is NOT part of the operating point.
It is just an asynchronous constraint whose appearance/disappearance
influences operating point tangentially. IOW, on some systems USB could
run at any operating point, so there would be no constraint. On others,
use of USB would automatically cause usb clocks to go high which in turn
would switch the system to an operating point that satisfies the
constraint - this is handled by clock/voltage framework.

> (How are they supposed to know if video use case is compatible with
> usb? They should not have to).

Only one human 'user' needs to worry about this detail - the system
designer, and that too only in SoC-based systems. For PC systems, such
constraints don't exist; you can be happy with the load-based scaling.

> > - Now if we are playing mp3, we switch to OP 4.
>
> Do you expect all mp3 playing applications to play with
> /sys/.../powerop-point? How do you tell if mp3's are playing? These
> are hard questions for a notebook.

There are two ways I can think of:

1. Modify every application - Every application then sends messages to
the power manager about its state e.g. paused, playing, ffwd, stopped.
This is not meant for PC applications due to their sheer numbers. But it
is not uncommon on embedded systems to tune application behaviour to
ease/improve power management.

2. Modify central launcher application - Click on an application icon
gives us information about what application is about to be launched that
allows us to change operating point. This might be doable for PC
applications by modifying KDE/Gnome launchers. But it only tells us what
applications are loaded, even though they might be idle. Which is where
the load average helps.

> > - Add usb and we switch to OP 3.
> > - Now our performance monitor (e.g load avg) indicates that we need more
> > CPU processing. So we switch to OP 2.
>
> That's cpufreq job, please

Yes. Or more particularly, the ondemand governor, right? But load
average is not the only input used to make decisions. There could be
thermal alarms, battery alarms, etc. And deciding which of these
conflicting inputs is given priority is a policy decision made by the
device manager. We discussed some of this at the PM summit.

    Device manager

 Power     Performance    Thermal     Misc.
 manager    manager       manager
         (e.g. ondemand)

Regards,
Amit