[linux-pm] So, what's the status on the recent patches here?

On Aug 28, 2006, at 10:39 AM, Pavel Machek wrote:

> On Mon 2006-08-28 09:40:38, Mark Gross wrote:
>>> Because 8388608 policies is clearly not reasonable, powerop can not
>>> help here, and something better should be developed... like power
>>> domains someone proposed here.
>>>
>>> (Or to say it in another words, powerop forces one big power domain,
>>> which is bad model for notebook-style machine).
>>
>> I doubt notebook-style machines will ever us power op in any
>> significant way.  HPC and embedded will be the first users.
>
> I agree here... power op look useless for notebooks. But I doubt power
> op authors would agree...

Agree that something I work on is useless? Never:)  I know I sound like
a broken record but...

PowerOP is the basic building block for scaling power management.  Its
as  useless or useful as the cpufreq_driver layer of cpufreq is on
laptops.  You can think of PowerOP as a redesign of cpufreq_driver that
enables other software in the PM stack to select a group of power
parameter values by a string.  On x86 this other software can continue
to be cpufreq.   On embedded devices the other software can use the
powerop sysfs api or kernel APIs.

>> Power domains will likely build on top power op.
>>
>> Power domains adds complexities themselves. Dealing with
>> dependencies and constraints between domains will be a challenge.
>
> Once we have power domains in/solved... do we still need power op? I
> thought power op could be useful for solving constrains _inside_ one
> domain, but...

I don't have a specific answer for this.  We will deal with it when we
port to hardware that has power domain control.