[linux-pm] sysfs power/state file & dpm_runtime_suspend()

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Ikhwan Lee wrote:

> We can have the device power manager in the kernel and let the platform
> designers hardcode the rules specific to their platform. It is easier to
> implement and we can use that scheme right away.
>
> In the future however, I think it is more clear to have a "power/voltage
> domain framework, and an extensible framework for system-wide operating (and
> non-operating sleep) states," quoting from what David said in his response
> to my message.

The second is a generalized version of the first.  However the issue of
the scope of a "power/voltage domain framework" is independent of the
nature of the userspace API for such a framework, which is what you
originally were discussing.  My point was that in a large number of simple
cases (like this one) there is no need for a userspace API at all.

To put it another way, suppose several devices have inter-related power
requirements, such as a common gated voltage source.  Provided each device
has only two power states (ON = "in use" and OFF = "not in use") then any
reasonable framework would be able to manage them adequately even with no
userspace involvement.

Alan Stern