[linux-pm] OLS 2006 PM-BOF notes

OLS 2006 PM BOF notes

I'm sorry for taking so long to get these out, I misplaced my notes such as
there are.  The discussions where fragmented and hard to keep up with.

The following is what I've managed to recall from my chicken scratches.  Feel
free to correct and amend these notes or discuss the items.

--mgross

CPUFREQ :
Too many governors.  Can we collapse some of the governors that have a lot of
code in common?  Should the conservative governor be implemented as a
constraint to the on demand driver / implemented by passing tuning parameters?

Can we remove the power save and performance governors?

Profiling applications:

Influence is coming from the embedded folks.  About 33% or more of BOF the
attendees where representing the embedded Linux users.

Application hints to OS PM behaviors needed.

How to make dynamic policy changes? (e.g. "shut down cpus on 36-way box on low
demand times")

Device / driver Policy manager for application based PM:

Can drivers be put into lower power states based on application hints, such as
I'm doing DVD play back and don't need HD, Ethernet, USB, BT so shut those down
for now.

Need drivers to support going to low power states:
Building the driver knowledge of clock dependencies?
Nokia's clock/voltage frame work for OMAP

Predicable suspend and resume times: