[linux-pm] [RFC] PowerOP Take 3, sysfs UI core 2/5

On Jul 26, 2006, at 4:55 PM, Gross, Mark wrote:

> [...]

That should be fixed before the next rev of patches are sent out.

> Now just rambling a bit, while catching up on the email thread some of
> this may be wrong but....
>
> Is it realistic to have the dimensionality of the operating points
> defined at the architecture level?  Why couldn't there be multiple
> types
> of operating points based on presence of different peripherals?  Having
> the array defined at compile time seems wrong.

An operating point definition is the list of system/board power
parameters.  Generally this means clocks/busses and voltages.  All
peripherals are connected to a CPU by a bus and therefore a clock, even
peripherals external to an SoC.  The list of parameters does not change
when a USB, PCI hotplug or MMC device is plugged in.  The valid values
of the those parameters may change but not the list of parameters.  The
device state and device internal power parameters should be (is)
handled by its driver.  The driver is responsible for changing a
devices state and internal power parameters based on activity, user
space input, or another kernel subsystem.

So the operating point is defined at compile time because the
definition doesn't change.

> Couldn't the platform
> startup code enumerate all its power control knobs and define the
> number
> of parameters per operating point, or have one have the dimensions grow
> with platform power drivers, one per control knob?

I think there is too much interdependencies between the various knobs
to control them separately.

> While we are at it, would it make more sense to define the UI for the
> operating points in some way that exports mins, max, and target values
> for each dimension?
>
> Would it make sense to have the different dimensions broken out into
> separate sysfs entries / attributes?
>
> Would it also make sense to support multiple powerop_driver instances?
> Powerop.c can only register one powerop_driver instance at a time.
> What
> if I want to break up my power management into multiple powerop_driver
> (power, voltage, clock) domains?  Being stuck defining a large n-tuple
> space of operating points at compile time doesn't work for me.  I want
> to have them at least built up at startup time, and preferably
> associated with some platform power driver loading operation.

Not sure about these points.  Again, I think the different areas are
too connected to control independently.

system (board) physical parameters which are clocks and voltages.
  - Devices are connected to the CPU by clocks/busses and therefore are
represented in the operating point definition that does not change if a
device is present or not.
  - Valid operating point values may change if a device is present or
not.
  - Device state and internal power parameters should be controlled by
the device driver.