[linux-pm] [RFC] PowerOP Take 3, ARM OMAP1 platform support 3/5

On Wednesday 26 July 2006 2:02 pm, Eugeny S. Mints wrote:
> David Brownell wrote:

> >  - This should be part of patch #4; it's not truly separate.
> >
> PowerOP defines interface between an upper layer and PM core
> and struct powerop_point is part of this interface - it defines what
> the terms an upper layer and PM Core use to communicate to
> each other are. And from this perspective I feel struct
> powerop_point  logically belongs to PowerOP layer although
> it is defined in arch dependent code.

Whereas I say that arch dependent is arch dependent ... unless
that "core" is indirecting through "struct powerop_point *", the
interface doesn't include the struct at all.  Ergo my comment.

> >  - I take it "v" is CPU voltage rather than some random component?
> >
> yes
> >    Either way, there seems to be an omission here since boards
> >    could have multiple voltages to care about ...
> >
> see reply under the next bullet discussing board vs SoC but basically yes,
> if we have multiple voltages to care about all voltages have to be
> represented in the structure. Reference code structure definition may
> be incomplete.

I don't think "complete" is achievable then.  This is exactly where
there will need to be component boundaries:  there must be OMAP1 specific
componentry (with some chip-specific nuances), and also there must be
board specific componentry.

Your patch #4 for example had #ifdeffery for specific boards.  ISTR
that was wrong -- it should have been chip specfic nuances, 17xx parts
vs 16xx ones -- but still there _would_ be a need for boar-specific
components in a real/usable/complete system.

> >  - In general, shouldn't an operating point be board-specific, so
> >    that the parts of the system outside the SOC can be included
> >
> good question. Basically current assumption is that definition is for an SoC
> and the values are board specific. While definition will most likely be the
> same for every board based on a certain SoC I can imaging for example
> that we can have an external clock source for an external hw on a board.

I agree that parts of an OP will merit that approach.  But ... the SOC
is not the only system component that needs managing, and it won't always
be practical to shuffle the others under the "device-specfic PM" tent.

> Since that  powerop_point structure definition could be board specific
> but that's where I'd prefer to get some input from the community to
> decide whether we have to move to board specific operating point
> structure definition.

My input:  make it easy to partition things into components.  One way
to do that might be to have an SOC component, multiple device components,
and a board-specific glue component that connects them in the right way.

- Dave