[linux-pm] [RFC] PowerOP Take 3, sysfs UI core 2/5

Gross, Mark;
sampsa.fabritius at nokia.com; r-woodruff2 at ti.com;
>Mochel, Patrick
>Subject: [RFC] PowerOP Take 3, sysfs UI core 2/5
>
>A sysfs interface for PowerOP that allows operating points to be
created
>and activated from userspace.
>
>The platform-specific backend provides the code to read and write sysfs
>attributes for each power parameter; the core sysfs interface has no
>knowledge of the struct powerop_point contents.  This interface could
be
>seen as possible extension of cpufreq sysfs.  It is not
>an integral part of PowerOP and is provided in part to facilitate
>discussion and experimentation with PowerOP, but could serve as a basis
>for a basic userspace power policy management stack.
>
>Operating points are created by writing the name of the operating point
>to /sys/powerop/new.  This may be a job for configfs.

Why create a new top level sysfs entry?  Can't we just put power op
under /sys/devices/platform or /sys/power ?

>/sys/powerop/<op>/ will contain an attribute for each power parameter
>that may be written to set the associated parameter for the new
>operating point.  An operating point may be activated by writing its
>name to /sys/powerop/active.  The hardware power parameters currently
>set may be read and written via /sys/powerop/hw/, a special operating
>point that reads and writes parameter attribute values immediately,
>primarily for diagnostic purposes.

Whaaa?  Is this for creating named operating points like say,
full_speed, deep_idle, pay_back, ui points, that could be activated by
echoing their name to /sys/powerop/active ?

These aren't new points, just named existing ones.  Right?

>Buried in this interface is also the notion of a registry of "named
>operating points", allowing operating points created by some other
>interface (such as cpufreq or loading a module with the definitions as
>suggested previously by David Brownell) to be activated from userspace
>via /sys/powerop/active.

Would it make more sense to echo "active" to the named <op> sysfs node?