[linux-pm] RFC -- updated Documentation/power/devices.txt

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, David Brownell wrote:

> I think PCMCIA switched over to /sys/class/pcmcia_socket/.../card_pm_state
> a while back, though I'm not sure about the userspace tools.  They could be
> behind the times by a bit.

> > My autosuspend patches remove the dpm_runtime_* stuff from USB, leaving
> > only PCMCIA.
>
> Good, I was going to ask about that, except that I figured reading the
> patches would answer the question in a better way ... ;)
>
> I have a patch that deprecates the dpm_runtime_*() calls; it's only triggered
> by USB and PCMCIA.  Not worth submitting IMO; fix the code first, then just
> remove those calls since /sys/.../power/state will be the only remaining caller.

Dominik, have you been following this?  Now's a good time to remove all
references to dpm_runtime_*() from the PCMCIA code.

> I thought dpm_sem was to protect the list manipulations that are currently
> substituting for a more dynamic tree traversal mechanism.  (But haven't
> actually looked recently...)

No, you're thinking of dpm_list_sem.

> > And it's not clear that we _do_ want to prevent runtime PM changes from
> > occurring during a system sleep transition.
>
> Real runtime PM changes, of the type the core doesn't see or care about?
> Of course not.  But the fake ones via sysfs?  Yes, I think we do.  We
> don't want those happening in any case.

While userspace is frozen, requests can't arrive through sysfs.  So the
only time dpm_sem might matter would be when someone on PPC uses the
soon-to-be-deprecated sysfs mechanism during suspend-to-RAM!

Alan Stern