[linux-pm] RFC -- updated Documentation/power/devices.txt

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, David Brownell wrote:

> > Is that last bit really right?  The PM core records each device's power
> > state when beginning a system sleep, and it tries to arrange to leave the
> > device in that same state when the sleep ends.  This may involve a
> > transition through the fully-on state...  I'm not clear on the details.
>
> I think the PM core should stop recording _its_ notion of the power state,
> but that's a different discussion.
>
> Yes that bit is right, it's just emphasizing that there _is_ a state machine
> in the driver (or should be!), and that with runtime power management it's
> not going to be in lock-step with system suspend/resume transitions.  That
> is after all the whole point of runtime device PM:  to decouple from those
> system-wide transitions so that "system on" needn't imply "device on".

One oddity worth mentioning somewhere is that the PM core will never ask a
driver to make a transition between two states unless one of them is ON.
This can sometimes lead to unexpected effects, some of which might show up
during a system resume.

Alan Stern