[linux-pm] Information in PM messages

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, David Brownell wrote:

> > 	A message whose source is USER or DRIVER should not be
> > 	allowed to resume a device that was suspended by a message
> > 	whose source was SYSTEM.  In other words, runtime PM and
> > 	autoresume should not interfere with a system sleep transition.
>
> Why wouldn't that be entirely the driver's responsibility, and
> something they don't need API changes to achieve?

Perhaps we don't need to worry about this.

After all, in most cases it's impossible for a device which is suspended
as part of a system-sleep transition to get either a runtime-PM resume or
an autoresume request.  It can only happen in situations where the
system-sleep did not first freeze all tasks.  In those situations people
may agree that it is acceptable for the sleep transition to be aborted by
a user request or an autoresume.

If that is so then yes, we don't need to alter the PM message structures
in this way.

Alan Stern