[linux-pm] [patch/rft 2.6.17-rc2] swsusp resume must not device_suspend()

On Wednesday 26 April 2006 17:38, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
>
> > > So under these circumstances, how does it hurt anything to reset the
> > > resume device rather than to freeze it?
> >
> > It just shouldn't be necessary.  Actually I think the resume device shouldn't
> > be frozen too.
>
> Well, you wouldn't want it doing DMA to unknown memory areas while you're
> trying to place the image data in those same areas, would you?  And when
> the image is reactivated, you wouldn't want the device generating
> interrupt requests while its driver still thinks it is suspended.  (Or if
> it doesn't even have a driver in the image.)

I think it'll always have a driver in the image, because we use it on suspend
to save the image.  Also IMHO, theoretically, the driver need not think the
device is suspended.

> And don't say that no resume device would ever do DMA or generate IRQs
> while it was idle!  What if it was a remote disk accessible via a network
> interface?

I think at least some devices may be told not to do DMA and/or generate IRQs
without being reset or put into a low(er) power state.

Ayway, as of today, we have no infrastructure allowing us to handle resume
devices in a special way.  However, if we decide to reset all devices before
restoring the image, we'll probably make such things harder to implement
in the future.

Greetings,
Rafael