[linux-pm] [patch/rft 2.6.17-rc2] swsusp resume must not device_suspend()

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > Now, if you have specific examples of things that shouldn't be reset, that
> > could be interesting.
>
> The resume device and friends (ie. controller, bus, etc.).

I presume the freeze/reset we're talking about occurs immediately after
the memory snapshot has been read from the swap partition and immediately
before it is installed/activated.  (If occurs before the snapshot is read
in, then how would you actually manage to read it?)

So under these circumstances, how does it hurt anything to reset the
resume device rather than to freeze it?

> My point is that it need not be _necessary_ to reset all devices.  We should
> reset only those which need to be reset.

> Of course every driver should handle this but that's not the point.  The point
> is whether we should _force_ the reset on every device.

I'm not convinced that it hurts anything.  But in any case, it wouldn't
hurt to follow Pavel's advice and add a flags field to pm_message_t.

Alan Stern