[linux-pm] [patch/rft 2.6.17-rc2] swsusp resume must not device_suspend()

Hi,

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 23:03, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 April 2006 06:53, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > >
> > > 'scuse me for butting in, but here's my suggested modified version:
> > >
> > > We also make a list that is safely available after the atomic restore of
> > > drivers that have had .suspend methods called.
> >
> > Do you mean we place the list in a __nosave area?
>
> Well, I wasn't wanting to get bogged down in the details yet, but let's see
> what we can come up with. How about this:
>
> At the point where we do the drivers resume at resume time, we're still
> atomic, right? Since that's the case, we can just use get_safe_page() prior
> to the restore to store the list and a __nosave pointer to retain the
> location across the atomic restore. If we are concerned about resuming
> drivers allocating memory and overwriting our list (and I think that's a
> valid concern), space could be allocated and the list copied between doing
> the atomic restore and the device pwoerup/resume.

This one seems to look better.

Still the problem is we need to know what to do with the devices that have had
.suspend() routines called.  Some of them would have to be reset, some of
them might be left in the current state, and for some of them we'd have to
do something special.  Frankly, only the driver writer will know what's
appropriate.

Greetings,
Rafael