[linux-pm] How to enable/power off a port

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 rasmit.ranjan@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi all,
> 	I can suspend a port from the user space manualy by doing
>
> 	echo -n 3 > /sys/bus/usb....../power/state
>
> Similarlly can I enable/power off a port from the user space manually ?

It depends on where the port is.  For ports built into the computer, the
answer is generally No.  The USB controller hardware in computers does not
have per-port power control.

On some systems you might be able to turn off power to _all_ the ports
attached to a particular USB host controller by turning off power to the
controller itself (put it in a D3cold state).  But this would affect more
than one port, and most systems won't allow you to do it anyway.

If the port is part of an external hub instead of build into the computer,
you may be able to do it.  Many hubs do not support per-port power
control, but some of them do.  You can get more information and a
userspace program here:

http://www.gniibe.org/ac-power-by-usb/ac-power-control.html

Alan Stern