[linux-pm] CE Linux Forum PM Requierments WiKi is available for review and comment.

Hi!

> >Hmm, okay, yes, that would be useful for machines that can't do
> >throttling in hardware.
>
> Even platforms that can throttle in hardware, it could make sense for to
> throttle the OS.

Well, certainly. If you want to throttle to 1% and hardware can only
throttle to 30%, you need to do it in software.

> I think a person may want to throttle what work a laptop is doing as a
> function of being tethered or remaining battery life.  If all you want
> to do is finish those last few edits to a file before your battery cuts
> you off for the rest of a long flight, you will be very willing to shut
> down most (all?) processing that's not related to what you are editing.
> Cron jobs, automatic spell checking, sound subsystems, screen savers,
> pretty much anything not related to your editing will pull down your
> battery.  Most of these can be shut down from user mode, some things may
> be easier to implement robustly with some kernel support.

That will be userland parts, I'd say.

> One idea is to extend the SCHED_BATCH idea to know about power state to
> avoid running some things when un-tethered or under low battery
> conditions.

Idle thread with realtime priority could do parts of what you want.

> >> Who the heck is Sharp, and why do you always thank him?
> >
> >That's a signature... Sharp is Japaneese firm, maybe you've heard
> >about them :-). Send me handheld computer, and that line becomes
> >"Thanks, Intel" ;-).
>
> Oh! Ok, that makes sense.  BTW careful what you wish for....

Well, I currently have collie (sharp sl-5500) for hacking, and spitz
(c-3000) for normal use. I would not mind hacking on something not as
obsolete.
								Pavel
--
Picture of sleeping (Linux) penguin wanted...