[linux-pm] CE Linux Forum PM Requierments WiKi is available for review and comment.

Hi!

> >4. device power management seems to be missing. What is "OS
> >throttling"?
> >

> I'll add some stuff on device power management.
>
> OS throttling is the pacing of work the OS is allowed to do to maintain
> some power or thermal budget constraints.

Hmm, okay, yes, that would be useful for machines that can't do
throttling in hardware.

> >7.1 if your hardware can damage itself or hurt user *FIX YOUR
> >HARDWARE*! Will you argue that overcharging li-ion to explosion is also
> ok?
>
> Having your hardware catch on fire or exploding is not ok.  I'll
> re-write this a bit to avoid the inference of buggy hardware.   The
> point is that software support is needed to do a good job for some of
> these applications.
>
> However; Having the OS help avoid deep discharging your cell phone or
> I-Pod battery because of some bug would not be unreasonable.

Do li-ion batteries really care about deep discharging in
cellphone/ipod applications? I thought single-li-ion solutions don't
mind being deeply discharged.

(In fact, that's what I'm now doing with li-ion in sharp sl-5500 --
collie; I'm running without any powermanagement, so it dies when
battery can no longer support CPU. I guess that's counts as deep discharge.)

> Neither is having OS support running on hardware that is built without
> active cooling that avoids the HW doing an emergency power off and
> loosing the users data.

NMI watchdog / SMM comes to mind. But SMM is unlikely to be option on
Arm machines.

> >--
> >Thanks, Sharp!
>
> Who the heck is Sharp, and why do you always thank him?

That's a signature... Sharp is Japaneese firm, maybe you've heard
about them :-). Send me handheld computer, and that line becomes
"Thanks, Intel" ;-).
							Pavel
--
Picture of sleeping (Linux) penguin wanted...