[linux-pm] Re: Hotplug events during sleep transition

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> Hmm, I am confused. What should ->resume() method do when it fails to
> resume a device? I would say kill it, espacially if it is bus-generic
> method. How else would we clean up after removed devices? And here we
> have a problem because swsuspend likes to resume all devices before
> writing the image and drivers don't rellay know if they are woken up
> for real or just to complete suspend transition.

If resume fails to resume a device, it should return a negative error
code.  It should not try to unregister the device; that action belongs to
a different pathway.

Cleaning up after removed devices should be handled the same way as we
already do it -- that is, totally separate from suspend/resume.

As for swsuspend resuming devices in order to write the image...  I don't
know how it currently handles a resume failure.  Offhand it's not clear
what could be done about a failure anyway.  Probably resume failures at
this point should simply be ignored.

Alan Stern