[linux-pm] Re: Hotplug events during sleep transition

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Greg KH wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 04:22:44PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Pavel Machek wrote:
> >
> > > Well, if you can find some elegant solution in the core, I think thats
> > > the best way.
> > >
> > > You could set system_state to "suspending" or something like that, and
> > > just if() out notifications in that case.
> >
> > How about simply adding a call to try_to_freeze() somewhere inside
> > kernel/kmod.c:____call_usermodehelper()?  That ought to do pretty much
> > what I want, in theory.  The hotplug processes would get frozen before
> > /sbin/hotplug is exec'ed.
>
> On modern distros, /sbin/hotplug is set to NULL, so this isn't an issue.
> We use netlink to send the data out, so this might not even be a problem
> anymore...

Indeed it might not.  On my older FC3 system I end up with unwanted
processes, but under FC4 that doesn't happen.  (Note however that even on
the FC4 system, /sbin/hotplug is not empty and /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
does point to /sbin/hotplug.)

The ideal situation would be to have PF_FREEZE automatically set for every
new process created while userspace was frozen.  Kernel threads could
remove the flag and set PF_NOFREEZE if they wanted, while user processes
would automatically get frozen before returning to userspace.  This
approach would eliminate all the loopholes at once.

Alan Stern