[linux-pm] Re: Hotplug events during sleep transition

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 11:52:03AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> > I don't find justification to your argument in avoiding to fix drivers. We
> > don't change the core when it means the impact would be to change every
> > driver. And, we shouldn't change the core to avoid fixing a subset of
> > drivers. The number of drivers that it affects should not be 100% of them.
>
> The issue of registering and unregistering devices during a sleep
> transition has come up before.  It's not going to go away.  We should
> find a good way to deal with it.  Changing the core hotplug support so
> that new unfrozen processes don't get started up while everything else is
> frozen seems to me like a fairly small, cheap way of getting things to
> work properly.
>
> Furthermore, Greg KH has stated that many (or even most) USB drivers
> shouldn't need to have special support for suspend/resume added.  I'm not
> sure whether he intended that these drivers should be unbound during a
> suspend, but that's the easiest way to handle them.

No, my main point was that we can not abort the syspend sequence just
because a USB driver does not have a suspend/resume callback.  That is
what was happening in the tree at the time, and a lot of different users
complained about it.

And yes, I don't mind if we just unbind those drivers from devices at
suspend, as for USB that's probably the easiest way.

thanks,

greg k-h