[linux-pm] Re: Hotplug events during sleep transition

On Thursday 22 December 2005 22:49, Patrick Mochel wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Alan Stern wrote:
>
> > I'm not so sure this approach really qualifies as a "hack".  If a driver
> > doesn't have explicit support for suspend/resume, the best way to quiesce
> > it is to unbind it.  The only alternative is to fail all of its I/O
> > requests, which seems much less reliable.
>
> Hmm, the best way to queisce it seems to be to fix the driver. Sure, that
> doesn't solve your problems now, but that is the ideal solution, no? Until
> then, band-aids like unbinding the device from the driver is only a remedy
> to a symptom; not a cure..

Quite often unbinding is easiest and also correct way. I would love to be
able to just unbind serio port/input device and have it recreated later.
Unfortunately X/GPM do not [yet?] support hotplugging of devices so kernel
has to compensate.

--
Dmitry