[linux-pm] [RFC 0/3] Runtime PM support for named power states

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, David Brownell wrote:

> On Wednesday 05 October 2005 12:44 am, Adam Belay wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 11:04:35PM -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> > >
> > > The PM core should just tell drivers to become compatible with some
> > > new constraint (like ACPI S3, generally implying devices in PCI D2
> > > or D3; while S1 doesn't) ... and not worry about whether that involves
> > > a state change or not.
> > >
> > > Maybe they're already _in_ that state for example.
> >
> > Yeah, the thought occurred to me.  One way of approaching the problem is to
> > have the PM core use logical states such as the following:
> >
> > 1.) ON
> > 2.) FREEZE
> > 3.) SUSPEND
> >
> > others?
> >
> > This is similar to our current implementation.
>
> Which is a problem, as I've described before.  The logical states
> must be system-specific.  Some systems have more states than just
> those three ... and in particular, the states have ** SOLID **
> and ** PRECISE ** definitions.  Unlike those three.
>
> At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll give the
> same example I've given before:  some states may not support
> particular clocks, like the 48 MHz USB clock.  So the driver
> needs to know which ** PRECISE ** system-specific state is
> being entered ... so it can turn off the clock if need be.

We can make it easy for a platform to define new or extra system states.
Things like ON, FREEZE, and SUSPEND can be represented by new PM_EVENT_xxx
codes, which the relevant drivers would understand.  Other drivers would
have to be smart enough to ignore the any event codes they don't
recognize.

Alan Stern