[linux-pm] [RFC 2/3] Runtime PM support for named power states

> > Actually, the line below should use "level" not "PCI_D3hot", since the
> > reason to enable wake from D3hot is that D3hot was the target state.
> >
> > And if the target isn't D3hot, it may not be necessary to enable wake
> > from D3cold ... the reason to enable wake from D3cold is that it's
> > not currently knowable if system suspend is going to morph the D3hot
> > into a D3cold.
> >
> > IMO it's probably fair to ignore D3cold except if the target is D3hot.
>
> And for now we probably want to ignore the whole thing for runtime
> suspends, since Linux doesn't properly handle PME signals.  Unless the
> system is going to sleep, we should avoid generating them.

I'd rather avoid creating special cases like that though; leave the
wakeup stuff in and it'll continue to be ignored ... until Linux properly
handles runtime PME# signals.  And if the system enters a sleep state
(like S1 or S3) the "right thing" should just happen...

I don't know how (or whether!) ACPI handles PME# at runtime, but it'd
be trivial to have a timer watch for devices whose config space reports
they're signaling PME#.  Not the prettiest solution; but until ACPI does
better, it could certainly make everything work consistently.

- Dave