[linux-pm] Re: Toward runtime power management in Linux

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Jordan Crouse wrote:

> While I don't agree that it will be a horrible drain on performance, I do
> see a large potential for abuse with a big kernel thread.  Things like the
> page-flush thread are well known and (hopefully) optimized entities -
> the RTPM thread will have to depend on hundreds of driver writers to be kind
> to not suck time and resources from the system.  About the time that somebody
> puts a large udelay into their AC97 driver to turn off the DAC, then I'm sure
> we will question our motives in this regard.

Hmmm...  A large delay in a suspend pathway will cause problems no matter
how it gets invoked, right?  If we have a separate kernel thread for RTPM,
then at least the only things affected will be other RTPM activities.
Whereas if we use keventd instead to provide a process context, lots of
other things would be affected as well.

> That said, I think I tend to favor the big kernel thread, or at least timeout
> threads on a bus level.  The single entity handling the idle math timeout
> would facilitate future issues such as priority in handling idle timeouts
> (do we address certain buses/devices before others, for example), plus it
> would help centralize the functionality, and make it easier to control with
> any future power management policy concepts.

Those are good ideas.

Alan Stern