[linux-pm] [RFC] Disabling Devices

On Monday 09 May 2005 11:06 am, Alan Stern wrote:
> There's an issue here that needs to be discussed explicitly.  How finely
> should the kernel allow userspace to control runtime power management?

>     (B) Or should the kernel export a relatively small set of power
> 	domains and a small set of primitives for each domain?  Like:
> 	suspend, turn off remote wakeup, go to full power, suspend
> 	after N seconds of inactivity?

> In general (A) most resembles what sysfs does right now.  I suspect that
> (B) will be a better solution in the end.

Yes.

> Regarding Dave's comments about hdparm and xset dpms -- what matters most
> about these interfaces is not that they are application-specific but that
> they are ad-hoc.

How does "application-specific" differ from "ad-hoc" though?
In practical terms; one is more pejorative than the other, but
how exactly does one measure a difference?

For example, the kernel doesn't know about X11 protocol at all,
or those particular IDE protocol requests.  And most folk would
probably say that it shouldn't need to ...

> I don't see why we can't strive to present a much more
> uniform interface, even if it does describe widely varying subsystems.  I
> also don't see anything wrong with implementing this interface by means of
> sysfs instead of using driver-specific ioctls.

For new things, or things being generalized into kernel support,
I've no fundamental issue with using sysfs.  But for things that
are widely deployed today, I don't see much point in changing
interfaces.

- Dave