[linux-pm] [RFC] Linux Power Management

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 11:31 -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> I like the overall goals and direction, but most details are probably
> premature.  Especially since the real issue is how to evolve the current
> mess while not breaking things too badly (again) ...
>

> On Monday 02 May 2005 9:32 pm, Adam Belay wrote:
> > Problems with current Linux PM
> > ==============================
> >
> > Although the existing model is sufficient for suspend and resume, modern
>
> That is, system-wide suspend/resume.  For suspend/resume of individual
> devices, at run-time, it's quite weak.

Agreed, but the PM model should generally be less involved with
suspend/resume of individual devices.

> > hardware often has more sophisticated power management features.  This
> > includes runtime power management and wake events.  Also, the current
> > model doesn't support power domains, a key concept in most bus hardware.
> >
> > Design Goals
> > ============
> >
> > This project aims to provide a more useful Linux power management
> > infrastructure.  Because of the wide array of power management capable
> > platforms, each with its own unique protocols, it's important to have a
> > flexible design.  Therefore, simplicity and a solid framework are
> > favored over platform-specific quirks.
>
> Nobody has _ever_ advocated platform-specific quirks in the core.  :)
>
> Folk have however advocated serious design limitations in that core
> which would prevent reasonable support of some platforms.  I think
> that's an anti-goal.  The point of flexibility is to let such common
> platform models work well ... avoiding such limitations, rather
> than labeling all other platforms (e.g. non-PC ones) as "quirky"
> and predestined to not working well with Linux.

Right, and what you are referring to here is PC platform specific
qualities. :)

> > In this model, power management is not limited to sleep and suspend
> > operations.  Instead, each device has the option of managing its power
> > dynamically while the system is running.  Parent devices must be aware
> > of the power requirements of their children.
>
> Yes, though the parent/child statement seems a bit too strong.
>
> Devices commonly have multiple sorts of parents; clocks, power
> control, and multiple busses (such as one for control and one
> for DMA) and bridges.  It probably works better for devices to
> know about those parents, and only require the PM core to
> accomodate those multiple relationships (rather than getting
> in the way by for example insisting the hardware may only have
> one such relationship, called "parent").

I'm aware of this.  I think its impossible for any PM model to handle
these multiple relationships.  They're too non-standardized.  In most
cases, I think we should just stay out of the way.

However, many standards and platforms accustom to expansion follow a
power-domain model.  Although the power domain support shouldn't get in
the way of those who don't need it, it's important that we provide this
functionality.  For most devices it will just make things easier.

Power resources are my attempt to model everything else.  For things any
weirder, the PM core doesn't need to know about them at all.

> > Userspace interaction with power management policy is a key goal.  While
> > policy configuration values may be specified by the user, policy
> > execution should occur in kernel-space whenever possible.  Userspace
> > will be notified of power events (including device state changes) via
> > kevents.
>
> I don't agree about userspace interaction as a goal, beyond the
> ability to pass general policy inputs to drivers.  It's fair that
> some devices might support policies like "off" and "on"; but
> that's not something to expect (or require!) from all drivers.

I think this is really something that varies between device and
platform.  As I have said numerous times, I'd like to have policy
variables be configurable, but enforcement to occur in the kernel.

> And when the drivers do choose to export such policies, it's not
> clear that the export/import is ever naturally part of some "power
> management" framework.  Counter-examples include "hdparm -S" to
> control hard drive power usage (drive spindown), and "xset dpms"
> for displays.  (Remember that disk drive and display power usage
> are classically the major drains, though current generation PCs
> often push CPU or GPU usage into that category too.)

right.

> In fact I still like the idea of just removing all the sysfs
> power support entirely; ripping it out since it's never worked
> well, and doesn't do what's needed.  The main counter-argument
> is that there'd need to be some better way to test selective
> suspend in drivers, if "echo -n 3 > power/state" vanishes.
> (Like, hmm, something sitting in debugfs...)

It depends on what we want to do with power management.  However, one of
the original reasons sysfs was created was to provide a power dependency
tree.  You can't just say that you don't like sysfs.  Perhaps you have
another interface in mind (ex. netlink/D-BUS)  I disagree about debugfs.
It just isn't for this sort of thing and will only lead to confusion.
Sysfs provides structure and organization and is designed to show
hardware information.

> > Power States
> > ============
> >
> > Every "power device" or "power resource" has its own unique set of
> > supported power states.  Characteristics about each state are specified
> > in a "struct power_state".  This structure is intended primarily for
> > gathering information.  A typical usage would be in power management
> > policy decisions.
>
> Nobody's yet answered my question about why we'd need to formalize
> such a state ... other than for sysfs support.  If a component is
> managing power for several others, such states would be consequences
> of agreements between those components.

Well, I think various people have mentioned them in the past.  My idea
was to include power consumption information by state.

Anyone else have a reason why we would need a device state list?

> > Power Devices
> > =============
> >
> > The base object of this power management implementation is referred to
> > as a "power device".  Power devices are represented by kobjects, each
> > with their own children and parents.  A power device may or may not
> > belong to a "struct device" in the physical device tree.
> >
> > Every power device can be considered a power domain.  Each domain has
> > its own power states, but also acts as a container for child power
> > devices.  These children can specify what they require from the parent
> > domain.  When the requirements of all children have lowered below a
> > domain's current state, the parent may choose to also lower its state.
>
> As Alan observed, this doesn't necessarily seem to require a new
> kind of data structure.  The problems with the existing framework
> are more at the level of imposing too much policy (and the wrong
> kind!) about the power relationships of devices.

Originally I was trying to work toward supporting the multiple
dependency cases you mentioned earlier.  However, it's just too
difficult to be handled by the PM core, so I agree with Alan.

> And for example the current pm_parent seems like it could help to
> manage such a "power domain"...

Perhaps.  I like the checks you added for this.

> > Power Drivers
> > =============
> >
> > Power drivers are specialized drivers with knowledge of a specific power
> > management protocol.  They provide a mechanism for changing the power
> > state, and update the "struct pm_device" to reflect which states are
> > available during a global system state transition.
> >
> > Legacy or ISA devices may choose to implement their own power driver.
> > Most bus technologies (e.g. PCI) will provide a more general power
> > driver.
> >
> > Power state index values are specific to the power driver.
>
> What is a "power management protocol"?  And what "power state" is
> being changed?  I don't quite see a need for such a thing; and if
> it were to exist, it should have "protocol" specific identifiers
> rather than "power state index values" to abuse (by offering the
> ability to pass them between "protocols").

Fair enough, I think my idea here was too power-domain centric.

> > Power Resources
> > ===============
> >
> > Generally speaking, "power resources" are power planes, clocks, etc.
> > that can be individually controlled.
> >
> > Not every power management object fits into the power domain model,
> > especially in embedded systems and for ACPI.  Therefore, this
> > abstraction is needed to complement power domains and fills in any gaps
> > in the power management object topology.
> >
> > Power resources are independent of power domains.  Like power devices,
> > they may have their own list of power states.  However, their
> > representation is more simplistic than power devices.  The power
> > management subsystem does not attempt to determine how power devices
> > depend on power resources or when power resources should be configured
> > as this is implementation specific.
> >
> > The main goal behind power resource objects is to provide a framework
> > for some standardization, export this information to sysfs for
> > debugging, and act as a stub for future expansion.
>
> If it's for debugging, it should be exported with debugfs!!

This isn't just debugging.  It's "current status" type information.  And
no, nothing like this belongs in debugfs as I said earlier.

> The other arguments aren't convincing to me, in terms of having
> any sort of standardized API.  The notion is fine, but the
> examples you gave don't seem to need "generic" APIs.  Clocks
> demonstrably don't; I've pointed out the one ARM uses there,
> it can't be at all generic.
>
> I could believe it'd be good to have a semi-generic API to
> switch power though ... and maybe even a way for platform
> device resources to include power switch resources, so the
> drivers would get rid of related board-specific knowledge.

Right, ACPI has these.

So here's another argument.  Each power resource could have its own
->suspend and ->resume hook for when we transition system states.  I
think this would be useful in some cases, and if not then just don't
provide them.  Also, these power resources might have their own policy
configuration variables.

--> snip
(I agree with your power policy comments)

> > Device Drivers
> > ==============
> >
> > Linux device drivers must often save and restore state during power
> > transitions.
>
> Sure, but that doesn't mean there need to be APIs that every driver
> would have to handle ... or that they couldn't just save/restore
> that state automatically during suspend/resume calls.

Right, I'm not going with that model anyway.  The idea was just to
experiment with a setState approach instead of ->suspend and ->resume.

> > Conclusion
> > ==========
> >
> > This document provides a basic summary of a proposed power management
> > design plan.  It is currently a draft.  Feel free to make any comments
> > or suggest revisions.
>
> Slim it down, and work on having incremental updates to the existing
> infrastructure.

Yes, that is my intention.  This document gave me a chance to experiment
with various ideas outside the current implementation.  I think doing so
can be useful sometimes.  I appreciate the comments.

Thanks,
Adam