[linux-pm] Re: [RFC] Linux Power Management

Hi!

> > > This API is different from the current ->suspend and ->resume because it
> > > applies to situations outside of system suspend (e.g. runtime power
> > > management) and has an emphasis on specific device power states.
> >
> > No. It took 2+ years to add at at least system power states. You want
> > to build on that, not scratch it and start over.
>
> After giving it some serious thought, I've decided that I agree.  I'm
> reworking my plans to reflect this.
>
> I was wondering, however, what do you have in mind for adding to pm_message_t?
> Also, are you going to use "PMSG_HALT" and/or "PMSG_REBOOT"?

If I added PMSG_REBOOT, I'd have to modify all the drivers to support
it. Incompatible change, bad.

We already have something close enough, PMSG_FREEZE. That means that
drivers will do right thing by default. If someone really needs to
tell between normal freeze and reboot, we can add a flag; but I'm not
100% convinced it is neccessary.

Same for PMSG_HALT.
								Pavel
--
Boycott Kodak -- for their patent abuse against Java.