[linux-pm] Re: freeze_processes questions

Hi.

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 19:30, Li Shaohua wrote:
> Hi,
> Sorry for raising the problem again after a long time. I got some
> reports about ' xxx not stopped' at suspend time. The general cause is
> one task is waiting for another task which has been into refrigerator
> first. Report an error and stop suspend can't solve the problem. After
> the task's dependent task is released from refrigerator, the task itself
> will soon go into refrigerator and will never be waked up.
> Nigel's refrigerator patch half solves the problem. It distinct kernel
> tasks and user tasks, so can solve the dependence between kernel tasks
> and user tasks, but can't solve the user tasks dependence. Right, Nigel?

That's right, but the example you give below is userspace (syslogd) vs
kernel space (kjournald), so I wonder if something could be wrong with
your implementation.

> Below is a proposal method to solve the issue. Assume task A depends on
> task B. Task B is frozen first. When we find task A can't be frozen
> after a long time, we thaw all tasks and let task A continue (task A has
> gotten a freeze signal so it will soon go into refrigerator) and then we
> freeze other tasks again. In theory, this can solve all task dependence
> (sure can't solve the circled dependence) if the retry times are enough
> big, but cost maybe too high. Looks it help my case (syslogd can't be
> stopped because it's waitting for kjournald). Any idea?

Perhaps what is needful is the other component of my refrigerator
implementation. I also mark threads like kjournald with the new flag
PF_SYNCTHREAD, and temporarily give it to threads that enter sys_sync
and siblings. That ensures that processes submitting I/O are frozen,
then the I/O is flushed, then kernel threads such as kjournald are
frozen.

Regards,

Nigel
--