[linux-pm] Re: freeze_processes questions

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Nigel Cunningham wrote:

> Whenever this topic comes up, the discussion is always abstract. If
> someone could think of a lock that might actually deadlock suspending,
> we look seriously at the issue. In the meantime, all I can say, from
> roughly three years of developing and testing, is that it never seems to
> happen. And yes, I know that doesn't necessarily mean it can't.

I agree with Nigel.  Certainly in the USB part of the kernel the
uninterruptible sleeps all have rather short, bounded durations.
Furthermore they correspond to specific events -- a new device is plugged
in -- which are unlikely to occur just as the system is going to sleep.

Alan Stern