[linux-pm] Nested suspends; messages vs. states

On Thursday 24 March 2005 9:00 am, Patrick Mochel wrote:

> > Other platforms could use the same names differently of course.  Capsule
> > summary, "deep" means there's only a 32KHz clock, while "big" means the
> > 48 MHz one is available to peripherals that need it (UARTs, USB, MMC/SD,
> > camera, and so forth).
>
> It sounds like they refer to low-power states in which the system is still
> operating, which are distinct from the STD/STR/Standby that we're used to
> that are non-operational low-power states. Is that correct?

Well, _some_ parts of the system are still operating.  But that's
true of STR/Standby too ... some components are operating well
enough to issue wakeup events.  (Even in some STD modes.)  And
return from STR/Standby does't mean all device state is trashed;
those devices don't go "non-operational" as in "reset" either.

It may be fair to say that more parts are more functional though;
making detailed comparisons hasn't been high on my tasklist!

- Dave