[linux-pm] Some thoughts on suspend/resume development

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 12:29 pm, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:52:24 -0800
> "David Brownell" <david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > There's something to be said for an integrated policy ... but at
> > the same time, cramming too much stuff into the bag can leave you
> > with a lot of holes ripped in it by sharp corners sticking out!
> > There are times it's better to use more than one bag.  :)
>
> I like that analogy.

It worked there, but I'm not sure how reusable it is!

> You make some great points.  I just want to avoid a situation where we
> have power thresholds spread out all over the sysfs, which in my eyes
> takes a fairly complicated and intelligent user agent to deal with,
> especially when one would need to manage large numbers of devices at a
> time.  Far better to offload that complexity to the user, and force
> them to craft an complete policy instead.

I'm not sure what you mean by "thresholds"; can you elaborate?

That notion hasn't come up here recently.  I'd think that for
example a battery manager would care about thresholds as one set
of event sources ... especially for non-"smart" batteries.

> Let me qualify that I'm coming at this from a completely
> embedded perspective.  In my mind, I'm power managing a nice closed
> device with a fixed list of devices.  I realize the real world doesn't
> always work like that.

If it's a fixed list, then there's also a fixed list of sysfs files
that would be configured in a policy.  So it won't matter whether
or not they're spread out "all over".

When the list includes things like USB hosts (possibly through OTG) or
CardBus bridges, it's a bit trickier but you'll at least have rules
about where new devices will be added (relative to the existing ones).

> Anyway, this is why I mentioned DPM, because the general design nicely
> mirrored what my concerns and requirements were.

Yes, it's certainly worth a look by folk who haven't yet done so.

- Dave