[linux-pm] Some thoughts on suspend/resume development

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 11:08 -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Adam Belay wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure if I agree that a parent can be suspended without first suspending
> > its children.  In general, a parent device can be lowered in power only if the
> > context and operation of the child devices are maintained.  If the change in
> > state does not affect the operation of child devices, then it really isn't a
> > "suspend".
>
> This partly a question of definitions and usage.  However, if a parent's
> change of state can be made transparent to the child device driver (i.e.,
> the parent resumes automatically whenever the child driver tries to do
> anything), then why shouldn't the parent suspend itself without suspending
> the child?

I think your not drawing a distinction between physical and logical
(class) devices.  A physical device can be turned off, but the logical
child device is allowed to remain on.  However, A physical child to a
physical device must be powered off before the parent.  Perhaps this was
your intention?

> Consider a driver for a disk device, which has a "gendisk" child.  The
> idea of suspending a gendisk doesn't really make sense, since a gendisk
> isn't a physical device.  So the driver might want to spin down and
> suspend the physical disk without suspending the gendisk child.

Yeah, I'm in favor of such an approach.

Thanks,
Adam