[linux-pm] Ottawa

>> What do people think?

I agree that we can improve on last year.

There was no shortage of interest at the KS -- it seemed
that everybody except Linus was running Linux on a laptop
and had a personal interest in saving power, particularly
through suspend/resume.

But when we started to dig into a discussion and Alan was
talking about probing devices on resume like we do at boot,
Linus cut him off and basically said "stop talking about
implementation -- go cut some code, and if the code works
people will use it and it will improve over time."

I found this extremely frustrating, because I don't think
there is a consensus on what the requirements should be,
and so it is difficult for people to effectively work
together and cut code if they don't share a common
vision of where we're going.

At OLS, there was also no shortage of interest.  I was
amazed that a whole room full of people showed up for
my talk on ACPI and also for the Linux-laptop BOF.
A flock of people followed me around after that to
make sure I was aware of exactly how their laptops
were not working:-)

But these forums were not particularly productive
WRT tangible planning or problem solving.  They were
probably most useful just in getting various players
on the same page WRT where we are.

So I think at both of these forums what would go over
really well would be a crisp articulation of what we think
the requirements should be -- where we think we need
to go -- and what the issues are getting those
features in place.  The outcome will be that at least
everybody present will have a better understanding
of the problems, and thus be better able to contribute
with their ideas for solutions.

For a PM-summit to be most effective, it would have
to occur _before_ the KS, like the networking guys did
last year.  (either that, or as I think Patrick suggested,
there should be a focused PM BOF during the KS itself).
A BOF later at OLS would be good in any case b/c it
can have a broader participation than KS.  But it would
be more effective to have a pre-meeting preceeding the KS
so that crew could at least weigh-in on what we think
the requirements and challenges are.

thanks,
-Len