[linux-pm] Some thoughts on suspend/resume development

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Greg KH wrote:

> > A more concrete question is: Should mutual exclusion between probe/remove
> > and suspend/resume be handled by the bus rwsem, by a semaphore in struct
> > device, or by individual bus drivers?  Offhand I don't see any reason why
> > the rwsem wouldn't be enough.
>
> Besides me deleting the rwsem?  :)
>
> struct device might be the best place for this.

Okay.  I'm going to take some time and think about this.

Are you planning on using a spinlock to protect things like the list_head
fields in struct device?  Or some other semaphore instead?  How will a
driver be able to iterate through one of those lists safely (without
things changing out from under it)?

Alan Stern