[linux-pm] Some thoughts on suspend/resume development

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Saturday 05 March 2005 10:37, Alan Stern wrote:
> > A common problem facing all drivers that do auto suspend is how to set
> > the inactivity timeout.  Two possible answers are: add an attribute
> > file in the /sys/.../power directory (so different devices can have
> > different timeouts), or add a driver module parameter (so all devices
> > using the same driver will have the same timeout).  The module
> > parameter approach is more efficient, but it suffers from the drawback
> > that a driver is not notified when a parameter is changed!
>
> This is entirely up to driver implementation to override param_get_xxxx
> and param_set_xxx functions to perform any required additional actions
> and not rely on default param_{get|set}_xxx implementations.

I wasn't aware that drivers can override param_get_xxxx.  Is there
documentation somewhere explaining how to do it?

Also, does sysfs now export module parameters for drivers that are
compiled into the kernel?  If so, where do they appear?

Alan Stern