[linux-pm] Resume/wakeup during sleep transition

Hi!

> > > This must be resolved.  As things stand the USB subsystem has only a
> > > single suspend() callback for device drivers, with no way to distinguish
> > > between selective and system suspend.
> >
> > USB should really pass down suspend_message_t parameter it got from
> > higher levels.
>
> I'm not sure I agree with that.  Perhaps the driver could use the extra
> information... but the fact is that USB only defines a single "suspended"
> state, and when a device is suspended the only feature you can enable or
> disable is whether it sends resume/wakeup requests.

USB only defines single state, but 1) some driver might want to either
enter it or not based on some details in flags and 2) that does not
mean that the functional part of the device can not have more sleep
states.

Imagine spinning down harddrive connected to usb storage.

Please pass full suspend_message_t down to the drivers. See the mess
in PCI we have now; pci only has 5 states...

> > > Should SELECTIVE_SUSPEND be added as a PM message type?  Then calls
> >
> > That's one possibility. Or we might just have a flag for that.
>
> It seems like a waste to force drivers to store information in every
> device structure about whether the current suspend is selective or
> system-wide.  Particularly since system-wide suspends always affect every
> device when they occur.
>
> Why not instead have a globally-available flag or API for checking whether
> selective resume requests should be honored?  At the start of a

I had global variable and it was basically vetoed.
									Pavel