[linux-pm] Re: FREEZE (was: usb PM updates ...)

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, David Brownell wrote:

> > If a
> > device is operational (albeit perhaps with lower performance and lower
> > power usage), the PM core doesn't need to know anything more.  Details of
> > the operating state are internal to the driver.  That's how the current
> > design works.
>
> Actually no it doesn't ... there's dev->power.power_state thing,
> in the current design, which is there to record power state.
> But we seem agreed that it should vanish ...

Yes, I should have said that's how people currently intend to make the
design work.

> > When you think about it, this makes sense.  After all, the PM core can't
> > be aware of all the myriad details of the internal workings of every kind
> > of device.  We've been saying all along that this sort of knowledge has to
> > be pushed out to the drivers.
>
> ... so that the pmcore (or perhaps more specifically its sysfs glue?)
> can't try to pretend that it's aware of _any_ such internal workings.

It would be okay to be aware of them, just so long as it doesn't try to
interpret them in any way.  For example, presenting a character string to
the user through sysfs is innocent enough, provided the PM core doesn't
try to figure out what that string means.

Alan Stern