[linux-pm] Re: Resume request support

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 07:46, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, David Brownell wrote:
>
> > > Okay.  Looking through the kernel source I couldn't find any place where
> > > PME# is turned off!  That would cause problems for repeated suspends...
> >
> > Could be.  On the other hand, I've yet to see a system wake
> > up from PME with ACPI either, so I don't have any reason to
> > believe the other PME infrastructure behaves yet either.
>
> It probably doesn't.  But remember that the two are separate and
> independent: ACPI doesn't mean PCI or PME# is present, and PCI + PME#
> doesn't mean ACPI is present.

The only systems I happen to have that claim to support PME#
are ACPI based ... I'd expect non-ACPI systems with PCI+PME
to support Linux at some point, but PM will need some work!

> > > How would you describe a host controller which was capable of sending PME#
> > > when the PCI bus interface is suspended, but is not capable of
> > > interrupting the host when the bus interface is in D0 and the root hub is
> > > suspended?  Would you say that the root hub's can_wakeup should not be
> > > set?  Or would you say that can_wakeup should be set and the HCD should
> > > rely on timer polling to detect events?
> >
> > The latter:  it's a root hub that must use software polling,
> > except in system-wide sleep states.  That's fully compatible
> > with how the system shuts down the timers almost as the very
> > last thing before entering an ACPI sleep state.
>
> Okay.  It's safe to assume that any HC will support port event polling
> while it is suspended, right?  So one way or another, we will always be
> able to receive resume requests from root hubs.

Yes.

> That undercuts my major reason for wanting a can_resume flag.  But the
> idea may still be useful for other sorts of devices.  Does it make sense,
> in general, to separate out a device's capability for waking the system
> from a sleep state and its capability for requesting a resume while it is
> selectively suspended but the system is awake?

Not from what I see.  Drivers in subsystems that don't support selective
suspend shouldn't be trying to use such mechanisms.  For the moment
we're in better shape with selective suspend in USB than with ACPI...

- Dave