[linux-pm] PM models

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 22:40, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 14:00 -0800, David Brownell wrote:
> > I'm not sure I like "on == freeze", but certainly it
> > seems plausible to model "freeze" as a power state
> > with minimal semantics.  If the state is really needed,
> > that is ... I suspect the kexec() model would be just
> > as well achieved by unbinding all drivers from the
> > devices.  Ditto halt().
> >
> > You've claimed that APM needs a FREEZE state.  Why?
> > If the issue is "BIOS handles hardware power states"
> > that could be addressed more directly in for example
> > pci_set_power_state(): "if (system_uses_APM()) return".
>
> Ugh... hidden magic inside of the PCI layer ? nope please ;)

Call it firmware integration, then explain why
you'd worry about a one-liner ... ;)

ACPI needs some hooks there too it seems, if
Linux is to have the option of using certain
advice the BIOS may have for us ... like what
PCI D-state is appropriate for a given system
sleep state and device.

Hmm, that pci_choose_state() patch might be
a good place to hide those things.  There
could be a function hook, set by ACPI or APM,
that provides the policy.  That'd even be a
reasonable hook for the board-specific code
intelligence you asked for a while back.

> Besides, freeze is absolutely necessary for STD right ?

As I was saying:  I'm unconvinced it's needed anywhere.
(If for no other reason than wanting solid reasons to
adopt this particular solution over others that don't
need to integrate/debug new mechanisms...)

But there are also a few dozen emails in my queue, which
could enlighten me about such reasons.

- Dave