[linux-pm] States we need to represent

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 22:38 -0500, Alan Stern wrote:

> I'm not sure what the best way is to handle this.  It's fairly unlikely,
> so we could just ignore it for now.  Ultimately it may be necessary to
> say that wakeup/resume IRQs must _not_ be enabled during FREEZE, and they
> must remain disabled until a final suspend (or power off) message is
> broadcast with interrupts disabled.  This strikes me as very awkward and
> possibly not feasible, but I can't think of anything better at the moment.

In the case of things like USB, there shouldn't be a problem until the
bus is actually put in suspend state, which wouldn't happen until we
reach the BIOS S4 right ?

In any case, the 0.001 drivers that will care about the above scenario
can always use the flags to detect a resume after snapshot, and since
they would know we are in this "transitional" state, they can do
whatever is needed to work around the problem...

Is there really an unsolvable race here ?

I would add that once we are in a position where the above becomes a
real problem, we'll already have done a long way from the current
situation :)

Ben.