[linux-pm] Re: SCSI testing without SCSI hardware

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > There is a software-only (emulation) implementation of SCSI over USB
> > available in the kernel.  It provides both the host and peripheral disk
> > drivers, and it's a great way to test code for hot-pluggable SCSI support.
> >
> > I'll post more details if anyone's interested.
>
> Ok. Actually, I do have a USB and a FireWire HD enclosures and spare
> HDs, so that should be fine too. Thanks.

Here you go...

Under Device Drivers / USB support, configure usb-storage and go into the
USB Gadget Support submenu.  Select Dummy HCD as the USB Peripheral
Controller and also select the File-Backed Storage Gadget.  (It's not
necessary to enable the "testing version" switch.)

This will build (in addition to usb-storage) two modules: dummy_hcd and
g_file_storage.  The dummy_hcd driver provides an emulated USB bus; it
acts as both a host controller and a peripheral device controller.
g_file_storage is a peripheral disk driver; it uses a regular file or
block device as backing storage (kind of like the loop driver).

To use these things, first create a backing file to hold the data for your
emulated drive.  Then do:

	modprobe dummy_hcd
	modprobe g_file_storage file=$backing_filename

That does the equivalent of plugging in a USB disk drive.  When you then
do

	modprobe usb-storage
	modprobe sd_mod

(or if your hotplug scripts do it for you automatically) you will see a
SCSI disk containing the data from your backing file.  To simulate
unplugging the drive, rmmod g_file_storage.

Alan Stern