[linux-pm] PM models

Hi!

> Anyway, I think what we have defined so far seem to be good enough to
> start the actual move. The only thing I'd like you to judge is wether we
> keep the original PM message semantics we discussed, or we move the
> freeze semantic to a separate flag as discussed in another message so
> that we have some kind of generic way of triggering drivers local PM...

Actually it seems like an implementation detail to me... but I'd vote
for separate flags. Distinction between "IDLE" and "SUSPEND" seems
quite unclear to me.

OTOH... there's preparation for shutdown, which does not fit here too
much, and preparation for apm sleep, which does not fit, either:

For shutdown, power state is not interesting, and you do not even need
to freeze, but you'd better spin down the disks, or you loose your
data.

For apm suspend... noone knows whats really required. Theoretically,
neither freeze nor powersaving is needed.
								Pavel