swsusp & modules [was Re: [linux-pm] [Fwd: Re: PM messages]]

> I still don't see "broadcast" as a completely intuitive phrase here;
> it'd need to respect tree structure ... thaw/resume must go top-down,
> and freeze/suspend must go bottom-up.  Of course Linux currently has
> several non-connected device trees, and you've pointed out that there
> are recipients of those messages that aren't device trees... message
> delivery order shouldn't matter between device trees, and for some of
> the others it might not matter either.

Oh, it's just bad wording, I mean't send down the tree.

> There's no need for "broadcast" or "global"; the only stuff
> that needs to be resumed -- USB is no exception! -- is the
> path from dev through dev->parent up to the root of that
> particular subtree.

Yes, yes, just bad wording, sorry.

> We could, but That Sounds Needlessly Complicated.

Especially since the "freeze" thing will probably give a very fast
freeze/resume cycle for the snapshot, thus "fixing" most of the problem
making us want to use partial tree suspend for STD...

Ben.