swsusp & modules [was Re: [linux-pm] [Fwd: Re: PM messages]]

Hi!

> > > Actually the point I've been meaning to chime in on here is
> > > that since, as Benjamin noted, if there's a "write to storage"
> > > step (STD, not STR) it uses the "quiesced"/"frozen" system
> > > state ... then the real problem is just that the current
> > > framework **resumes way too many devices** when writing that
> > > out to swap.  (Which is a fourth step...)
> >
> > Ok, we need to dissect this a little more.
> >
> > From a conceptual level (not necessarily with this level of granularity in
> > the methods drivers will have), for STD, we want to
> >
> > - Stop All Devices
> >
> > - Save Device State
> >
> > - Start swap device back up
>
> And right here, write the state to disk -- with records
> indicating some state that help make resume work "better".
>
> An example would be the saved PCI state and the I/O queues
> for the devices.  Filesystems would presumably flush (and
> maybe invalidate) caches in the "stop all devices" stage;
> or would that be earlier still?

It happens earlier still. Actually we only sys_sync(). Snapshot is
atomic, that means that we do not need to care about I/O queues for
devices etc.

We could get away without sys_sync(). But sys_sync() is nice in case
something goes wrong.
								Pavel