[linux-pm] Re: Concerns about our pci_{save,restore}_state()

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>  - What about saving/restoring more registers ? I'm not sure wether it
> should be the responsibility of the driver to save and restore things
> above dword 15, but we should at least deal with the case of P2P bridges
> who have more "standard" registers

This is a key concern of mine.

The _driver_ is the only entity that knows really how much space to
save/restore, and the generic versions are obviously _not_ sufficient to
support:

* hardware errata such as S3 Trio, where _reading_ or writing certain
registers in the standard range cause a system lockup

* saving/restoring the standard-defined capability lists, which
certainly could extend way beyond what's stored now

* saving/restoring the new PCI-Express 4K config area

This is _clearly_ something that should be decided upon in the driver.
The PCI layer should _only_ present standard helper functions, and maybe
a standard storage space that works for most drivers; not force all
drivers through a narrow funnel.

	Jeff